Define


define |diˈfīn|
verb [ trans. ]
1 state or describe exactly the nature, scope, or meaning of : the contract will seek to define the client's obligations.
give the meaning of (a word or phrase), esp. in a dictionary.
make up or establish the character of : for some, the football team defines their identity.
2 mark out the boundary or limits of : [as adj. ] ( defined) clearly defined boundaries.
make clear the outline of; delineate : she defined her eyes by applying eyeshadow.

For the longest time I've been vehemently against the use of labels to describe one's wardrobe. I used to find it so constricting –– I mean why confine yourself under a single term when we're human beings, not robots, whose wide ranging emotions and feelings change with time in a constant state of flux? That is until a week ago when I declared my major, I finally realised just how nice it is to have something clearly defined as your major, minor and concentration for example. I no longer feel quite as lost, as I now have a sense of purpose with something to work on and look forward to. This most definitely applies to the wardrobe as I know now what I really like and what works for me, meaning: subtle prints, neutral colours with the odd bright piece thrown in and clean silhouette. By no means am I trying to discourage experimentation with one's style, but note that before you jump onto the latest trend bandwagon, take your time and step away from it a little and trust your gut. See it for what is is and strip away all the fancy marketing and glamour. I suppose this can apply to a lot of other things too. Definitions (towards your wardrobe) should not been seen as absolute, rather just a loose set of terms with which you can work it. These are not a set of bars to which to confine and lock yourself creatively into, but rather a solid foundation from which your wardrobe can build on and grow. What is your take on definitions and labels, and have you benefited with or without them?


No comments: